Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Finding Joy in the Journey

I just read an article entitled, "Letters to a Young Teacher." It discussed the inherent value each child has and the author seemed to write the letters/article to ensure that children are looked at as children, not as investments for our future economy. I really liked the authors viewpoints. Children deserve to go to school and find wonderment and happiness, as well as to learn. However, what really struck me was a letter he wrote discussing his conversations with Mr. Rogers. I love Mr. Rogers, and grew up watching him and his magical neighborhood on t.v. He discussed how Mr. Rogers had never really let his inner child escape him and that was one reason he was able to reach so many children. I really hope that I am able to do the same. I don't want to grow up! I want to stay youthful, energetic, and playful. These characteristics can help make me a great teacher. Hopefully, they will allow me to see children as human beings, not just future economic investments. I really hope that I will find a way to help children who come from the worse circumstances find "joy in the journey." Hopefully, when these kids believe that they can trust no adults, they find a way to let down that barrier and trust me. Kids are amazing! I love them a lot and I am so excited for the opportunity that I will have to one day teach them and see the light in their eyes as they learn new concepts.

1 comment:

Sandra and Brent said...

I'm glad you are so excited because a classroom has so many challenges. And I see too many teachers not loving what they do. I hope you do keep loving it.